Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:17:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange SCSI QIC tape behaviour

Thanks for the info- I usually don't really try and program to devices I
can't really test, but in this case I've noticed a lot of usage of this
device, so I should try and get it right.

It really was news to me that fixed block mode goes to 1K above QIC-320-
but then, I haven't really worked with QIC for some years. It's not clear
to me whether this is a generic standard or not.

What I need to do here is to move up the priority list expanding the quirk
entries so that drive specific preferred blocksizes and density codes are
used (sound vaguely familiar from the old FreeBSD driver, eh?). I'd love
to do this all from first principles and standards, but, guess what- that
fails to please everyone (well, nothing will please everyone, and I might
as well be disliked for something worthwhile like the tape driver than
something silly like a Win32 Bulk Emailer...).

The other problems you reported, Stephen, are mostly related to the
hardwar. The speed issue and the strange densities- the former just *is*
and the latter is just pretty much a passthru from/to the device.

I'll probably be updating the -stable release streams by the middle of
next week with changes here. Which I'll try and fit somewhere within the
7-8 projects I'm involved in (let's see- Fibre Channel Fabric support for
Solaris today? Or NT PCI PCMCIA card reader driver? Get the slides for
my "common driver talk" to Univ. of Minnesota? Merge latest
NetBSD-current into Nasa/AMES MSS3a tree and resolve all the DMFS
induced file conflicts? Build a 9 DataDirect CCD (~1TB) and test Matt
Dillon's FFS/VM changes on that? So *many* things to do....urp..help!..)

-matt