Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2019 07:44:38 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: silent disk drive

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 02:01:34 +0200, Matthias R. wrote:
>how do I find out which process is writing every minute to the disk
>drive so that it wakes up the hard drive. I am using a gerneric
>installation 12.0 and types camcontrol sleep ada0 Every time I do that
>it will wake up afer some 60 sec. and writes somewhere I cannot find
>out. Do you know something helpful? It#s that I like the silence to
>read...

Hi,

you could monitor IO processes, but the monitoring tool might wake up
drives, too ;), let alone that it not necessarily is a read or write
process that wakes up drives.

On Linux I experienced a lot of processes that wake up drives, almost
all are related to desktop environments and might cause this kind of
trouble also on freebsd.

A lot of software has got a hard dependency against gvfs for no good
reason. I install empty dummy packages, to fulfil those dependencies and
getting rid of gvfs. However, even a few processes that aren't related
to a desktop environment do the same, for example smartd does, so I
don't start it. Sometimes I still use smartctl to manually test my
external backup HDDs, but for my desktop PC's internal SSDs the
database is anyway useless, so I'm using the proprietary tool provided
for Linux, by the vendor of the used SSDs (ocz-ssd-utility).

You need to search a little bit, Qt apps suffer from something similar
to gvfs, too. I don't know which process it is, but after running k3b, I
only can get rid of it by restarting the computer, so I tend to use
xfburn nowadays.

On my machine even lxpanel did wake up a drive, but upstream fixed it,
after the issue was reported by me, see
https://github.com/lxde/libfm/commit/994a1e25ba0c3da80575fc002af17ab02e .

In sum, mount by command line, avoid desktop features to mount drives
and don't use monitoring tools, such as smartd.

Regards,
Ralf