Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:23:41 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: need some advice on  MTA

# arb@anand.org / 2003-02-05 13:37:05 +0100:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:02:29PM +0100, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >     I run four Postfixes (one of them with Courier-IMAP), and one Qmail
> >     with vpopmail.
> >
> >     Postfix is IMO easier to install and administer, but doesn't have a
> >     point'n'click interface.
> >
> >     It also looks like Postfix is a much faster moving target than
> >     Qmail, e. g. the virtual address/mailbox support has been evolving
> >     quite a lot, and the configuration changed in Postfix-2.
> >
> >     I wouldn't recommend Courier; I don't know the SMTP part of the
> >     pack, but the IMAP server is pretty admin-hostile in that it doesn't
> >     log almost anything at all, so when you run into trouble, you're
> >     left to guessing, and hacking the source.
>
> Courier-IMAP is not admin-hostile. You can enable debugging, and it
> will log a lot of information.

    I had a PEBKAC case with Courier-IMAP, and had to add a few writes
    to get anything useful in /var/log/messages. If the code isn't
    there, turning a debugging switch on won't buy you much. :)

    Note that this was one particular problem, and one particular piece
    of code. It might be different in 95% of Courier FWIW, but that was
    not my experience.

> The SMTP server and client part of courier is also nice, robust and
> friendly to other sites, and has many useful features (RBL checking,
> rejecting spam, flexible aliasing, SMTP authentication, SSL support)
> all out of the box.

    I didn't say Courier didn't have all that. BTW, I use RBL checks,
    virtual domains, static routes (non-MX-based relaying), and whatnot
    with Postfix. All out of the box. :)

> And if you install the entire courier suite, you also get a POP
> server, webmail server and mailing list manager, and a webadmin CGI to
> configure it all easily.

    Postfix has neither of that, as I said in my previous post ("doesn't
    have a point'n'click interface"). It's "only" an MTA. I'm happy with
    what it is, and how it does its job. That's all.