Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:20:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP:PAP:WIN95:FreeBSD

Please avoid crossposting, thanks.

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Sasha Egan wrote:

> I have tried everything in my experience and I just can't make this darn
> thing work.
> I have followed the instructions that are included in the pppkit.tgz file,
> with very little results.

That is very, very old.  I'm not sure it's even correct anymore.

> The results that I got was a PAP connect using win95 as the client.  PPP
> shells out but you are not able to go anywhere, ( i.e. you try to telnet
> and no host can be found even if you try it using IP as the address.
> I really need some help on this.
>
> I have the clients setup as follows:

[ stuff ]

> Prompt for info...........clicked

Dunno if you need that.

> Show a conformation ......clicked
> Prompt to use Dial-UP Networking...Clicked

Not necessary...

> I have Client for Microsoft Networks installed.
> I have TCPIP installed and I have a Dial-Up adapter bound to TCP/IP

okay.

> I have the hacked version of pppd installed in /usr/sbin
> bash$ ls -al pppd
> -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  77824 Apr 16 11:28 pppd

Huh?  You shouldn't have to hack pppd.

> I I have the ppplogin.sh and fancyppplogin.sh in /usr/local/bin
>
> bash$ ls -al *ppp*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2040 Apr 16 09:29 fancyppplogin.sh
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1533 Apr 16 09:29 ppplogin.sh

Can I see the contents of these?

> bash$ cat /etc/ppp/options
> dns1 192.168.1.1
> proxyarp

Hm, no pap, no address specification.

Danger Will Robinson:  This setup allows *unauthenticated* access to your
machine.  You will want to add `+pap' to options to force PAP
authentication.

> I have appropriate gettytab entries.
>
> std.38400|38400-baud:\
>         :np:sp#38400:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh
> std.57600|57600-baud:\
>         :np:sp#57600:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh
> std.115200|115200-baud:\
>         :np:sp#115200:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh

check.

> I have all the shells set in ppp.shells
> I have prewt ( my test ppp account ) shell set as /pppok
>
> I cannot think of anything else that would cause this not to work when I
> dial, an error appears in about 60 seconds.
>
> Dial-Up Networking could not negotiate a compatible set of network
> protocols you specified in the Server Type Settings.  Check network
> configuration in the Control panel then try again...

You get this if the client and server ppp don't get together, ie the
server isn't running.  It's a totally misleading error.

> Uhm...I dunno about this but Microsoft Networking seems to be broken in a
> whole lot of frigging places.

You noticed? ;-)  I can get it to crash my Win95B box regularly.  Of
course it doesn't help that the ethernet card driver crashes regularly too
:)

One way to test this is to enable `bring up terminal window after dialing'
in Properties -> Configure -> Options tab.  This way you can make sure
that the ppp session is starting correctly.