Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 1998 15:29:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Shawn Stone <shawn.stone@westal.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Metro X Server (RedHat/Caldera Linux) on FreeBSD

On Sat, 7 Feb 1998, Shawn Stone wrote:

> I have (what I believe to be) a virtual terminal problem.  Here it is:
> I purchased Caldera OpenLinux over a year ago, before I was made to
> realize that FreeBSD is a better product.  One thing I did like about
> Caldera, though (and about RedHat, for that matter) was the X server.
> The only real reason I prefer MetroX is that it supports my card in
> 16-bit color, whereas XFree86 does not.  (I would either have to replace
> my ISA card with a PCI one or revoce all but 14MB of RAM.)
>
> So I installed the Linux libraries, compiled Linux support into the
> kernel, installed the rpm package, then rpm'ed the Metro X server onto
> my system.  All of that went without a glitch.

Running MetroX (or any Linux binary X server) is probably beyond the scope
of the Linux emulator.  Have you tried a kernel with bounce buffers (such
as the GENERIC kernel) and XFree86?  Although at 16bpp, a 16 bit ISA card
will probably be a bit slow anyways..

----
A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.

- alex