Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:18:54 +0800
From:      Rohit Grover <rgrover1@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laggy X11 after updating to 8.0-RC1

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Rohit Grover wrote:
>
>> I have upgraded to 8.0-RC1 (from 7.2-STABLE) on my MacBook 4,1. I did
>> so by checking out stable/8 under /usr/src, rebuilding kernel/world,
>> and using portupgrade to update all installed ports from packages
>> available on the 8.0RC1 DVD-iso.
>>
>> Since the update, my X11 is laggy. Now, I often have to move the mouse
>> before keystrokes/button presses take effect.
>
> Make sure hal and dbus are enabled in rc.conf and running. =A0In xorg.con=
f,
> remove Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off".
>
> A bonus of using hal is that you can remove the keyboard and mouse sectio=
ns
> from xorg.conf.
>
>> As I've mentioned, I've updated the kernel/world, and updated
>> libpciaccess. Perhaps I'm having issues because I need to remove old
>> libs. How do I remove old libs?
>
> cd /usr/src
> make check-old-libs
> make delete-old-libs

I deleted old libs using 'make delete-old-libs' from /usr/src, but
that has led to many other problems.
It seems many libraries currently in use were deleted in the process.
I'm having to rebuild/reinstall many of my applications to get them
working again.
And gdm doesn't work anymore. Initially X was complaining about
missing libraries, but after reinstalling a few packages, I now have
gdm going into an endless loop in which it X tries to startup,
displays the mouse pointer, and then re-initializes itself.
Starting X by itself gets me similar behaviour: the screen blanks out,
and then nothing happens.

There is nothing in /var/log/messages or on the console to help debug
the problem. No man page for gdm. Any ideas on what should be done?

thanks.