Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:30:27 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        tigger@ebom.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 Release - Unstable?

--aF3LVLvitz/VQU3c

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:37:17PM +1000, tigger@ebom.org wrote:
> I'm newish to FreeBSD but have had no problems with 4.2 Current, I had=20
> Apache/PHP/CVS/ftpd/sshd all running really smooth. So I deceided to=20
> try 4.3 Release.
>=20
> My box is only a test box that I can rebuild at will, so a fresh install
> from scratch is what I went for.
>=20
> 4.3 installed fine, but w3m (a text web browser, nicer than lynx) and=20
> wget where missing, this was a small suprise, oh well, move on.

ITYM the packages were missing from the ISO image; since this is just
the first CD of the 4-CD set released by BSDi, they'll surely be
somewhere else on one of the CDs.  Or you can download the package
from the network using pkg_add -r, or you can build the port by hand;
it's not "missing" per se.

> Then the wierd things start.... For no reason at all the box starts=20
> to reboot while I'm trying to install PHP via ssh (as root).=20
> This took me a while to work out as I do not have a monitor on the=20
> box (and why I was using ssh). I think I have stuffed up and do=20
> another install from scratch.
>=20
> This time, I set up a monitor on the box and left it standing for=20
> 24hours and the box has rebooted once by itself, and once right now=20
> while I was installing php. Here is the dump that I was able to catch=20
> for the first time.

Please see the chapter in the handbook on kernel debugging and how you
can obtain useful information from a panic which will allow a
developer to track down your problem.  Once you have a crashdump and
backtrace, post the information to stable@FreeBSD.org (not many
developers read questions@).

It could be an obscure bug in FreeBSD which you are triggering, but
the more likely explanation is probably marginal hardware (heavy
activity like compiling stresses the hardware more, and perhaps you
haven't seen it under 4.2 because that box has been lightly loaded for
a while)

Kris

--aF3LVLvitz/VQU3c

--aF3LVLvitz/VQU3c--