Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 19:16:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "The Matrix" screensaver, v.0.2

As Mike Smith wrote ...
> > Kevin Day wrote:

> > > This is just my opinion though, and not to be used as legal advice for
> > > anyone. I just don't want FreeBSD to become a ball of intellectual property
> > > infringements. :)
> >
> > Let me retract the Ghost in the Shell statement. I just checked, and
> > my memory played tricks on me. It was a different letter effect. :-)
> >
> > Andrzej, can you somehow turn it into a parody? If you can make it
> > into a parody, then it's legal.
>
> Just make it a port, for crap's sake, and distribute it from Poland.
> By the time WB's American lawyers work out where you are on the map,
> the statute of limitations will have expired and you'll be fine.
>
> But it's not going into the tree, no.  I think Kevin's point and the
> experiences we had with Hasbro should already have convinced people of
> that much.

Hear hear! I sat astounded, 'nailed' to my chair over all the excitement
a mere screen saver can generate. Yes, I've seen The Matrix, no, I have not
tried the screensaver. But it escapes me why one would like to import
something into the mainline source tree that might attract
undesirable legal attention (isn't all legal att. undesirable? ;-)
to the project. Especially when everybody who really can't live without
it has grabbed it from some ftp-server already.

Amen,

	Wilko