Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 10:30:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, asmodai@wxs.nl, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgra

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > How many companies do you think want to dedicate manhours to a project
> > that has to be released to the general public.
>
> All of them who:
>
> 1)	are aware of the difference between "tactical" and "strategic"?
>
> 2)	desirous of offloading their maintenance burden?
>
> 3)	want to leverage the free code developement, which will be
> 	going forward, with or without them?
>
> That's why all the companies I know of contribute changes back to free
> software projects, even if the license doesn't require them to do so...

Which is fine for some projects, but no company who is going to make some
sort of new technology is going to use GPL code to do it, that would kill
the product before it was even started.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -