Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:58:13 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Cc:        pechter@lakewood.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uunet vs. internet

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> Well, the Internet has changed from its humble beginnings as the
> old UUCP net, and ARPANET.  Used to it was ham radio, then BBS's, then
> the net.  What bastions for hobbyists are there now, something where
> the popularity doesn't make me sick after fifteen minutes of use?

Being someone who entered the BBS scene around Oct '95, I watched the
whole BBS thing in Western Australia shrivel up and die. Which was a sad
thing, cause I liked BBS's.

I was actually tossing up whether to setup an IPv6 tunnel network between
local Perth ISPs, then linking the "network" to somewhere in the eastern
states. Anyone else on here game? Even an IPIP tunnel with our own network
would be really funky. I liked the internet before I started actually
getting large amounts of SPAM and the general amount of crap out on the
internet. I've heard stories of people setting up "development" networks
alongside the internet.. how about we do the same? :)

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would