Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:47:58 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: JDK install: Unpack source ?

Nate,

> No way.  I *never* look at the source code anymore, but then again, I've
> no need to look at the source code except in rare cases.  I try very
> hard to program to the API, rather than to look at the implementation
> because it makes my programs more portable.

Well, in some cases I *do* need to check the source code, *and* javadoc wants
to have the JDK source code path specified in the -sourcepath parameter. But
while I'm writing this I'm wondering if (a) javadoc supports .jar files in the
source path and (b) if I *really* need the source code for API docs
generation, the Javadoc API docs should be enough.

And the times I need to check the source code, is usually because the API docs
don't tell me half the story, or because I want to know what approach is used
in the JDK, for example w.r.t. the implementation of some collection classes.

--
Ernst