Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:08:17 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.vm.kmem.size

Hi!

I'm trying to test and tune speed of freebsd's filesystem in many aspects.
I run recent FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE with new dirprefs code, read tuning(7),
newfs'd my FS, turned softupdates on, have UFS_DIRHASH kernel option.
Also, I've read DIRHASH kernel code source. It seems that efficiency of
DIRHASH greatly depends of kernel memory size (and some experiments
approve this). loader(8) describes tunnable parameter kern.vm.kmem.size
which overrides default size of kernel memory. Increasing this helps
DIRHASH not to fall back to linear search. But how can I see exact
amount of used kernel memory? Default 12M does not seem to be
suitable for my tasks and I would like to increase this but cannot
estimate right value.

Perhaps, sysctl vm.zone might help but I do not know how to interpret
its output. All that I need is a % of used kernel memory.

Eugene Grosbein

P.S. Please CC: me when replying. Thank you.