Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:58:55 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no, marquis@roble.com
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>
> : What does a typical path variable look like on your systems???  Long
> : paths are bad for shells.  Yea, I know, the hashing stuff should keep
> : a single copy of a shell pretty quick, but every time you fork off
> : another one your going to have to go hash the path list.
>
> Well, why not do what I do -- I have /opt/packagename/bin,
> /opt/packagename/sbin, etc. and I simply do this after installing
> a package:
>
> 	cd /opt/bin;ln -s ../*/bin/* .
>
> Then we can just add /opt/bin to our paths.  We still keep things
> nice and separate, and if we want to clean up dead symlinks, we
> just do rm /usr/bin/* then rerun the symlink generator.

You conviniently overlooked the matter of shared libraries. And other
shared files. And manual pages. And...

Of course you could have dummy directories full of links for these all.
But that is getting to *WAY* too many symlinks.

> : I would actually rather have sshd in /usr/local/libexec, it's not something
> : you really run from the command line :-)
>
> I heartily agree with this, except I put mine in /opt/sshd/libexec
> with symlinks to /opt/libexec :-)
>
> In case anyone wonders why I use /opt, well, I feel /usr/local
> should stay the property of the actual local software that I develop.
>
> Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
> Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
> Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.