Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:29:26 +0200
From:      Zbyszek Bodek <zbb@semihalf.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
Subject:   Introduction to the superpages support for ARMv6/v7

Hello Everyone,

I'm happy to announce the preliminary patch adding superpages
support for ARMv6/v7 platforms.

This code is the core part of the "Superpages for ARMv7" project,
sponsored by both Semihalf and The FreeBSD Foundation and developed with
the great support of Alan Cox.

We'd like to commit these changes before the feature freeze.
Therefore, we would greatly appreciate if you could test the patch on
your ARM-based platforms and send us your feedback as soon as possible.
In addition, please send your remarks and comments if there are any.

Please check out this location:
http://people.freebsd.org/~raj/patches/arm/superpages/

and files:
* 0001-Introduce-preliminary-superpages-support-for-ARMv6-v.patch
  - patch based on revision 254596
* GUPS.tar.gz
  - (Giga Updates Per Second) benchmark that can be used to do a quick
     preview of the functionality.

In order to enable superpages utilization one needs to set 'sp_enabled'
sysctl variable (in src or loader). Without that, the kernel is supposed
to work as it was without SP even so the reservation based allocation
mechanism is enabled.

One can observe superpages statistics using:
sysctl vm.pmap.section

We have tested this on Armada XP in SMP environment but the presented
support should work on any ARMv6/v7 platform.

After committing this code we will send a separate e-mail summing up
this work and covering more details.

Best regards
Zbyszek Bodek