Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 01:43:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URL Based Filtering on FreeBSD

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > URL filtering is ineffective; there are trivial ways around it.  If you
> > > want to/have to go with this, you'll want to put up firewall machines
> > > and IP blacklists.
> >
> > Wether it is or not is irrelevant, unfortunately.  If they say we gotta
> > have it, well, we gotta have it.  :-(
>
> You need to be making it clear that what they're saying can't be done.

I may have to prove this to them first.  I'll worry about that if it
comes to it, though.  :-)

> > > This is something akin to trying to keep back the tide, but it's a
> > > deployable solutiuon based on free tools.
> >
> > I may have found what I was looking for, though...  Someone packaged up
> > some redirector stuff for Squid that would let me stick a list of sites
> > somewhere and Squid would redirect them to a page telling them they've
> > been naughty.  The only problem at that point is coming up with a
> > maintained list of the sites.
>
> They expect you to proactively pursue this list as well?  How do they
> propose to avoid the blacklist being used to promote a politicial
> agenda?

Erm, dunno.  It just makes sense to update it at least once in a blue
moon.. Sites appear/move/disappear every day, ya know.

> I realise this is probably too little too late, but
> http://www.peacefire.org is probably a good place to be looking at.

Aaah, great site!  Definately gonna have to show the boss this one.

All the little gory details I find out about on Monday, though.  All I
know at the moment is "We need to do Internet filtering", and "We have a
grant to do it, but we're running out of time... Details on Monday."  I
just figured I'd try and get a head start and see what was available for
FreeBSD before I said "Yeah, we can do it with what we've got".

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */