Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:48:06 -0500
From:      Julian Zottl <jzottl@radiantnetworks.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem

So I'll ask a stupid question: Why not base it off of the millions of CoC's
already out there?
https://abc.xyz/investor/other/google-code-of-conduct.html
is a good start.  Yes, it's a commercial company, but it could easily be
modified.

The CoC as it stands is ridiculous.  Here is my contribution to helping.
Don't call out inclusion, it should naturally happen with an open CoC. I
like the KISS method of working.

We want the FreeBSD Project to be a venue where people can work together to
make the best operating system, built by a strong community. These values
extend beyond just development to all aspects of the Project.

This code applies equally to everyone representing the FreeBSD Project in
any way, from new members, to committers, to the core team itself. These
rules are intended to ensure everyone feels welcome both working within,
and interacting with, the Project. This document is a guide to make it
easier to enrich all of us and the technical communities in which we
participate.

This code of conduct applies to all spaces used by the FreeBSD Project,
including our mailing lists, IRC channels, and social media, both online
and off. Anyone who is found to violate this code of conduct may be
sanctioned or expelled from FreeBSD Project controlled spaces at the
discretion of the FreeBSD Code of Conduct Committee.

Some FreeBSD Project spaces may have additional rules in place, which will
be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for
knowing and abiding by these rules.

*Rules:*

*Do no Evil* - Follow the law, acting honorably, and treating co-workers
with courtesy and respect. Recognize that everything we do in connection
with FreeBSD will be, and should be, measured against the highest possible
standards of ethical conduct.

*No Retaliation* - FreeBSD prohibits retaliation against any person who
reports or participates in an investigation of a possible violation of our
Code, policies, or the law. If you believe you are being retaliated
against, please contact Ethics & Compliance.

*Serve Our Users* - Our users value FreeBSD not only because we deliver a
great Operating System, but because we hold ourselves to a higher standard
in how we treat users and operate more generally. Keeping the following
principles in mind will help us to maintain that high standard:

=C2=B7   *Integrity* - Our reputation as a community that our users can tru=
st is
our most valuable asset, and it is up to all of us to make sure that we
continually earn that trust. All of our communications and other
interactions with our users should increase their trust in us.

=C2=B7   *Usefulness* - Our Operating System should be useful for all our u=
sers.
We have many different types of users, from individuals to large
businesses, but one guiding principle: =E2=80=9CIs what we are offering use=
ful?=E2=80=9D

=C2=B7   *Freedom of Expression* - FreeBSD is committed to advancing privac=
y and
freedom of expression for our users around the world. Where user privacy
and freedom of expression face government challenges, we seek to implement
internationally recognized standards that respect those rights as we
develop products, do business in diverse markets, and respond to government
requests to access user information or remove user content. Contact Legal
or Ethics & Compliance if you have questions on implementing these
standards in connection with what you do with FreeBSD.

=C2=B7   *Responsiveness* - Part of being useful and honest is being respon=
sive:
We recognize relevant user feedback when we see it, and we do something
about it. We take pride in responding to communications from our users,
whether questions, problems, or compliments. If something is broken, fix it=
.

=C2=B7   *Take Action* - Any time you feel our users aren=E2=80=99t being w=
ell-served,
don=E2=80=99t be bashful - let someone in the community know about it. Cont=
inually
improving our product takes all of us, and we=E2=80=99re proud that FreeBSD
champions our users and take the initiative to step forward when the
interests of our users are at stake.

*Equal Opportunity Community*

Bring a contributor to the FreeBSD community is based solely upon
individual merit and qualifications directly related to competence. We
strictly prohibit unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of
race, color, religion, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy
status, sex, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, mental or
physical disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other
characteristics protected by law. We also make all reasonable
accommodations to meet our obligations under laws protecting the rights of
the disabled.

*Harassment, Discrimination, and Bullying*

FreeBSD prohibits discrimination, harassment and bullying in any form =E2=
=80=93
verbal, physical, or visual If you believe you=E2=80=99ve been bullied or h=
arassed
by anyone at FreeBSD, or in the community, we strongly encourage you to
immediately report the incident contact to the FreeBSD Ethics & Compliance
group.

*Conclusion*

FreeBSD aspires to be a different kind of community. It=E2=80=99s impossibl=
e to
spell out every possible ethical scenario we might face. Instead, we rely
on one another=E2=80=99s good judgment to uphold a high standard of integri=
ty for
ourselves and our company. We expect all FreeBSD=E2=80=99ers to be guided b=
y both
the letter and the spirit of this Code. Sometimes, identifying the right
thing to do isn=E2=80=99t an easy call. If you aren=E2=80=99t sure, don=E2=
=80=99t be afraid to ask
questions of the FreeBSD Ethics & Compliance group.

And remember=E2=80=A6 don=E2=80=99t be evil, and if you see something that =
you think isn=E2=80=99t
right =E2=80=93 speak up!

Not really that hard, eh?
----