Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:07:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        LutzRab@omc.net, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Attack via sendmail?

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199906141930.VAA14403@office.omc.net> "Lutz Rabing" writes:
> : I've seen some pretty strange lines in syslog of one of our webservers.
> :
> : The box is running 2.2.8 with sendmail 8.9.3 and has never been out of
> : swap space before, in fact it's not using swap space at all under normal
> : conditions.
>
> Have you used gdb to get a traceback sendmail.core?  Have you
> considered building sendmail from sources and installing that binary
> if you have the stripped binary installed?
>
> I've not heard of attack like this recently.
>
> Also, I'd take a look at cucipop.  It may be the case that it, or
> something else, is eating all the memory, causing problems for
> sendmail, et al.  'ps auxww' should help next time this happens.

	Or even 'top' shows a bit more detail than ps -auxww does.
	But either one should help ya see what is going on.  Problem is
	you have to be on the server when this happens.

> Warner

Nick Rogness		    	 "Never settle with words what
System Administrator	          can be accomplished with a
RapidNet, INC   		  flame-thrower"
nick@rapidnet.com