Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:59:23 +0100
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, hindrich@worldchat.com
Subject:   Re: Serial ATA?

Peterhin wrote:

> I would like to move over to FreeBSD from Linux, only been there for a
> year.
>
> I am starting at groung zero. I have read the hardware list for 4.9
> STABLE and
> 5.2.1 RELEASE. All I can find in 3.1 "Disk Controller with Promise
> ATA100/133
> OEM chip (pdc20265/69)  I am using a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard,
> with a
> Promise PDC20378 Raid Controller and a Western Digital Serial ATA H.D. Will
> FreeBSD work.?

Yes. The controller is definitely supported. I'm not entirely sure about
RAID functions but they are most probably supported too.

If you have looked at supported hardware for 5.3 you would find a link to
ata(4) manual page, which lists the controller as supported.

It has been supported for long time but only recently (for 5.2) it got into
manual pages and even more recently it's reflected in the release
documentation (for 5.3).

Michal