Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 08:35:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade / pkgdb question

Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Been trying to upgrade ports on a machine that started out running
> 4.1, was most recently running 4.3-Stable, and is now running 4.6-
> Prerelease.
>
> Upgraded portupgrade itself OK, but when I do a "pkgdb -F" it shows
> most of the installed packages as having no "origin". (apparently
> this is because the "origin" concept was introduced after 4.1)
>
> My understanding is that "origin" is the path to the port in the
> ports directory - ie if the port is /usr/ports/editors/joe, the
> origin is "editors/joe".
>
> But there is no interactive search or anything to help find the
> correct path to input to correct this problem when running "pkgdb -
> F", so does this mean that I have to sit down, manually find and make
> a list of all the modern equivalents/locations of all 200 installed
> packages, then manually type in each path for each old package during
> "pkgdb -F" before I can effectively use portupgrade?

I keep seeing cases where I think the easy solution is to

pkg_delete -r pkg_name

This will recursively delete anything using pkg_name, and then, you
can remake the end of the line packages you are trying to upgrade.
Everything that uses the base package needs to be upgraded and installed.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA