Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:25:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ako ito <pusongsinugatan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: background process

ako ito <pusongsinugatan@yahoo.com> types:
> how do i make a user to have just one background
> process running and if he does morethan one -- it will
> automatically be killed - is this possible ?

I don't believe it can be done reliably, because there are to many
different situations one can run into. The goal of FreeBSD is to make
it easy to do powerful things, not easy to restrict users from doing
powerful things.

You can set the maximum number of processes (see the login.conf man
page) for classes of users, but that's not the same thing at all.

It takes two processes just to log in. Running one command means
you've got three processes. Running a simple pipe involves one process
for every command in the pipeline, none in the background. Setting
an arbitrary process limit high enough to allow reasonable shell
scripts to run will allow lots of processes - which could also be used
as background processes.

	<mike