Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:02:10 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Bogdan Agica <bagica@bitdefender.com>
Cc:        Bartek Rutkowski <r@robakdesign.com>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Splashes Remakes

+----[ Bogdan Agica <bagica@bitdefender.com> (20.Sep.2005 07:24):

[ ... ]

| However, I didn't quite understand the copyright issues involved with
| beastie. The FreeBSD Gnome 2.12 Splash Screen will not feature Beastie ?
|
| Keep up the good work,
| --
| Kramer

+----]

i) I believe that beastie is free to use, you only have to
akcnowledge the author. But, for a splash screen, this means
that you should add the acknowledgement on the image, which
always results in some clutter. I personally don't like the
results very much (or you have to put so small a copyright
legend that it is almost impossible to read).

ii) beastie may (or may not) be replaced in the near future.
There was a logo contest (submission now closed, we are all
waiting for the results) to come up with a new FreeBSD logo.
Reasons for the change were made clear on the announcement
of the contest: http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/

So FreeBSD may in the future have a new beastie, or some
stylized representation of it, or a new logo without
beastie ... I'm anxious to see the results!

Fernan