Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:22:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        ftrk <ftrk@uaf.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: which *BSD to choose?

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, ftrk wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:28:24 -0800
> From: ftrk <ftrk@uaf.edu>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: which *BSD to choose?
>
> Dear all,
> I haven't used *BSD at all, but been using UNIX(Solaris) and LINUX for awhile.
> However I have recently been reading lot about the *BSD's and even downloaded
> Kevin Lai's paper from USENIX about the comparison of SOLARIS, LINUX and
> FreeBSD. I would like to play  with it
For this purpose you should use FreeBSD. The latest release
is 4.3  . FreeBSD has the largest collection of ported
applications and it is well documented in
www.freebsd.org/handbook
(and of course in the online-manuals)

> on my laptop which is kinda old, but I
> was wondering about drivers for display chipsets etc:
> Intel PIII Processor
> ATi Rage 128 display chipset(14" SXGA display)
> Xircom 10/100 cardbus PCMCIA card
> Internal Lucent Gold v50 modem( I am sure this wouldn't be supported:( )
>
> I would definitely like to use and support FreeBSD. However I am unable to
> make up my mind as to which one will suit me and an assessment of the three
> flavours. Would you have any pointers as to where I can find some info? I am
> currently running a dualboot, with winme(only because the internal modem is
> not supported:(and I can't afford a external modem card right now )
Save some money for a modem: FreeBSD is very
download-friendly, though for the start you should order the
CD-ROM-collection at www.freebsdmall.com

> and
> linux(redhat 7 which I don't wanna use anymore since I have found things which
> I don't like in it anymore). I am also interested in knowing the packages,
> like compilers(like gcc, g77, perl) etc. Also does this come with any crypto
> software? Pardon my ignorance, I tried to look around, but couldn't find info
> on compilers etc..
All these are supported and will work.

Uli.