Date:      Fri, 13 May 2005 20:14:28 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions to kill in FAQ

On 12 May 2005, at 19:59, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> 3.16 -- I believe that the 1024 limit no longer exists on modern
> FreeBSD?

Like the questions says, I was under the impression that this was a
BIOS problem, so it's probably not going away.

> 5.2 -- So, some model of EISA SCSI card has trouble on some model of
>   HP Netserver.  This has been in the FAQ for many years, and I
>   suspect it is now irrelevant.  It is already useless, because we have
>   no idea what model this would be.  :-)

I think it should go.  Any of these still in production are either
already running FreeBSD or something else, and only still exist because
they can't be touched.

> 5.9 -- NLAF?

Pass.  It's been a long time since I've worried about this though.

> 6.1 -- FreeBSD Mall doesn't seem to offer the mentioned "Desktop
>   Edition."  (I could lean forward and ask Murray, but Robert is
>   talking at the moment and that would be rude.)

Did he shut up yet? ;^)

> 6.2,6.4 -- Metrolink seems to be gone, and XiG doesn't appear to
> support FreeBSD

We don't support a.out in current any more anyway (or did I dream
that?); get rid.

> 6.3 -- The answer seems to be "sorry, no longer available."

Thankfully.

> 9.3 -- NLAF?

Now *this* one I do think is due to the fact that it is in the FAQ.

> 9.4 -- NLAF?

Ditto.

> 16.8 -- NLAF?

Can go.

> 18.15 -- NLAF?

Pass.

> 18.16 -- If we're axing 3.X in the FAQ, this whole Q&A needs
>    rewriting.  I could make a stab at it from a pure grammar/math
>    perspective, but would prefer some input
>    from someone who actually works on the code.  :-)

It needs rewriting anyway, as PAE changes the maximum again (and it's
almost certainly different on !i386 too).  I'd just get rid of it; we
can resurrect it and worry about it later if it ever gets A again.

Also, there is a "Any other information on this subject would be
appreciated." sticking out like a sort thumb in 9.7 which can go (or
moved to an XXX comment at least).

Cheers,

Ceri