Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 07:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tape: can't set blocksize on Wangtek

> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de> wrote:
>
> > 4.0-CURRENT from a few days ago, QIC-1000 tape drive:
> > sa0: <WANGTEK 51000  SCSI RVM7 5F5> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
>
> Okay, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.
> It seems I can successfully change the block size if there is no
> tape inserted. (Or after an "mt offline", which presumably amounts to
> the same thing even if the tape is still physically in the drive.)

Yes- that's likely with a fixed blocksize device that bases what size it
is set to on what the tape can support. This may be complicated by the
fake variable mode that some drives support.

> Changing the block size after a tape has been inserted but not yet
> read from works sometimes. No recognizable pattern yet. Changing
> the block size after the tape has been read from fails reliably.

Yes- and this may get worse- I'm about to commit changes that will do a
test read at tape mount time in order to determine existing blocksize and
tape density (or, rather, force the drive to set these values by getting
it to do a media access).

There are two problems you've reported- one where you have trouble
changing blocksize and the other where reading the tape gives you NULLs
and other things, etc.. The former problem you've tripped over while
trying to set 'variable' mode (at my request) to see if your tape is
readable in fake 'variable' mode. I'm not sure what to tell you to do at
this point. What mode was this tape *written* under?

-matt