Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 97 09:28:09 +0200
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        grog@lemis.COM
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   One-hand Keyboard (Re: Microsoft the GUI King)

>> FWIW, I have seen one-handed keyboards of the sort Engelbart proposed
>> advertised in the backs of pooter magazines....they look
>> interesting.

>How do they work?

The German (at that time computer) magazine c't once had an article
about such a keyboard, built in Isreal, if I remember correctly. It
had a number of "main" keys for your fingers (4 or 5), which had to be
pressed in combinations to get normal characters. Modifier keys were
normal seperate keys. The tester claimed he could imagine
becoming fluent with it in a short time.

C't also published a DOS keyboard driver to emulate the same keyboard
mapping with the num block on a PS/2 keyboard (where of course the
placement of key's is not optimal). C't sends out photocopies of old
articles for a nominal fee.

I seriously doubt it can make emacs users happy, or users of any
syntactically rich programming language, but that's probably a matter
of choosing the right mapping and right placement of modifier keys.

Martin
--
Martin.Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://www.cons.org/cracauer/