Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:12:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jm7996@devrycols.edu (James A. Mutter)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, jmal25@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting the GUI in FreeBSD 2.2.6

James A. Mutter wrote,
> At 08:53 PM 1/21/99 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >Jason Malone wrote,
> >
> >BTW, X is not really a 'GUI.' It's called the 'X Window System.' If you
> >are expecting a 'Start' button, there isn't one. The default 'startx'
> >will give you the 'twm' window manager (X itself does not put the
> >title bars, menus, etc. on windows, a manager program does), and an
> >xterm (which will be just like your console). There are other window
> >managers more like Winbloze if that's what you want (e.g. fvwm95).
> >

> What are you talking about?
>
> X in combination with _any_ window manager is most certainly a GUI.  The
> term GUI or Graphical User Interface is hardly Windows specific.  You've
> got 2 choices, a CLI or Command Line Interface or a GUI - Graphical User
> Interface.

What are you talking about?

If you start up the default 'startx,' you get a xterm... which is a
CLI, no? It happens to be in a little window you can move around,
iconify, etc., but with the default twm setup, anything beyond that
(e.g. starting programs) has to be done at the xterm command line. I
would hardly call that a GUI. No pull down menus to start things up or
buttons to click. To a user who does not know what to do at the
console command line, going to the default X will not really make
things any easier. That is the point I wanted to make to the original
poster.