Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 09:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
To:        fbsd-isp@launchpad.win.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FrontPage Web Extensions

> >Just upgrade your FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE, and everything will be okay. The
> >problem is that the extensions are for BSDI 2.0, which isn't supported by
> >FreeBSD 2.1R. Once you 'sup' 2.1-STABLE you'll be able to run them no
> >probs. You may have to installed DES crypt routines (you don't need them,
> >but it makes FrontPage work with BSD's password file..)
>
> I'm running 2.1 stable, and I wasn't able to get them to install
> for the cern web server.  It keeps wiping out at the point where it
> tries to create the config file with the message to the effect that
> "File:/usr/local/frontpage/" is an illegal path.  *Obviously* it's
> an illegal path.  I got on the phone with the Microsoft Tech
> Support person who handles the unix front page stuff, we went
> through the installation together and the config files for the
> cern web server, he agreed I was doing everything correctly, and
> said he would look into the problem and call me back.  The next
> day he called back and informed me that the extensions don't work
> with FreeBSD 2.1 stable, although "just between you and me, I know
> of one person that got them work by changing the kernel, but I
> don't know what he did."
>
> If anyone out here knows how to install them and get them to work
> under 2.1 stable I would love to hear how you did it.

I am the person that the Microsoft guy was referring to. We have Frontpage
running on all of our web servers. All that I had to do to get this to work
was to sup the stable sources, rebuild the world and a new kernel. Next I
made a tree for my web and made sure that all of the files and directories
were owned by user.group http. The other thing is that we are using Apache
for our webservers. Make sure that if you use Apache that you install with
the apache-manual-restart server option.

Regards,
Jeff