Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:18:49 -0800
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>, FreeBSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 in /usr/X11R6

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 09:11 pm, Jolok wrote:
> David
>
>  /usr/X11R6 has got 18.5 GB of x-related files in it.  /tmp and /var
> are virtually empty.  /var/db/pkg shows only bash and tcsh, which is
> in keeping with my installation.  How do I change the installation
> path?

18.5 Gigabytes! (are you sure that's not megabytes?)

Okay, that's a problem. Hopefully it's your main problem.

Since you only have bash and tcsh installed from ports/packages, I would
hazard a very educated guess that it's safe to remove anything under
/usr/X11R6. What's there is -probably- from installing XFree86-3.3.6 during
main installation. This doesn't come from a package, so it's not listed in
/var/db/pkg.

So... Cross your fingers and do:

rm -rf /usr/X11R6

Then go try to make install the XFree86-4 port.

You shouldn't have to change the installation path at all.

David