Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:25:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS v3 on FBSD client/Sun server?

Greetings -
>From the FreeBSD mount_nfs man page:
# BUGS
# ....  For clients mounting servers
# that are not on the same LAN cable or that tend to be overloaded, TCP
# transport is strongly recommended, but unfortunately this is restricted
# to mostly 4.4BSD servers.
#
This implies that NFS version 3, using TCP transport, only works between
4.4BSD servers and clients.

Indeed, when I mount an NFS partition from a FBSD 2.2.8 server onto a
Solaris 2.6 client, it works as expected. "netstat -a" shows a TCP
connection in place to service the mount, and tcpdump shows TCP traffic
between server/client. However, when I mount an NFS partition from an
Solaris 2.6 server onto a FBSD 2.2.8 client, only UDP is ever used.

I'm not sure of the reasons why this is so. Perhaps it's buried somewhere.
Nevertheless, if it's documented, I'd like to read about it. Has anyone
directly addressed this issue anywhere? Many thanks for any pointers!

Regards,
- Mike