Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:05:01 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using legacy sysinstall to upgrade live system

Hi folks,

I've just gotten feedback from PR 12777, in which at least 2 people are
complaining that sysinstall as installed by 3.1-RELEASE can not be used
to upgrade a live machine to 3.2-RELEASE on the fly.

I've told both parties that they need to use a boot floppy with the
correct version of sysinstall, or build a 3.2-RELEASE sysinstall from
source, and one of the chaps I'm speaking to thinks that this is
unreasonable.

Before I tell him that diffs are welcome, I thought I'd check that I'm
not making a mistake here. I lost my confidence when it was pointed out
that sysinstall can be given any arbitrary release name to use for
Upgrade without issuing any warnings.

So? Am I wrong? If you _are_ supposed to be able to upgrade to any
arbitrary release using sysinstall as installed by any prior release,
perhaps someone could suggest the cause of the problems reported on the
PR?

Thanks,
Sheldon.