Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:57:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Lars Fredriksen <fredriks@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        thyerm@camtech.net.au, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On 18-Mar-98 Lars Fredriksen wrote:
> Simon Shapiro writes:

> Hi,
>       I also see lots of :
>  sio3: 151 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 151)
>
> Usually serveral thousands per day. All mine are from ppp using the
> serial link. When using netscape it makes the problem worse but linx
> hardly ever causes problem. Just as Simon did attribute the problem
> related to DPT, mine seems related to disk access as well. I am using
> the ahc driver (cam at the moment), and I wonder if my problems doesn't
> stem from the funny MP table that SuperMicro puts in. I haven't tried it
> in UP mode to see if there is a problem there.
>
> I hope to try the MP table patches that Tor put together in a couple of
> days.

I have done so on a test machine, but have no guts to put it on nomis, or
sendero (production).  One failure is on SuperMicro, but the other is on an
Intel SMP board, which is quite different.  If the ahc, with CAM is now
capable of fast interrupts, they may collide with the FreeBSD Fast
Interrupts code.  I do not think this is SuperMicro related, not X, nor
DPT, nor CAM problem.  I think it is a general problem, that these
combinations bring to tthe surface.  Sort of reminds me of Linux,  they use
only (what we call) Fast Interrupts (NMI is more like it), and they also
lose interrupts, unles they tweak and tweak and tweak.