Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:30:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@internode.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-ALPHA Upgrade Question/Problem

Is there some kind of a known bug in the 2.2-ALPHA install program (from
boot.flp) which kills off the partition table when you try to upgrade?  I
tried it twice to verify that there was a problem.

I was running 2.1.0 on two of my machines, 486quick150 and hobbes.  I
upgraded 486Quick150 to 2.1.5 many weeks ago, and upgraded hobbes to 2.1.6
later with no problems using the upgrade routine in sysinstall.  I tried
upgrading to 2.2-ALPHA on hobbes the other night, and it toasted the
parition table by the time I got to disklabel to mount the existing
partitions (in the upgrade process).  There was nothing there to mount.  I
figured it was a fluke, but I re-installed 2.1.6 and tried upgrading again
to be sure.

It toasted the partition again, so something is a little whacky in there,
especially since the routine in 2.1.6 works fine.

Any ideas?

Later......                                             <Doug>