Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:38:03 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@free.fr>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] any instructions on how to use a PCMCIA NIC on NetBSD ?

[Not finding a mailing list in NetBSD with mobility as a subject]

I've got a notebook, which runs FreeBSD (both Stable and Current on one
partition !) and I'd like to also have NetBSD on it.

I've installed NetBSD with a CD-ROM, so this is already fine (the
display is also correctly handled by the 3.3 version of Xfree)

What still remains to do is use the NIC under NetBSD
the NIC is detected under FreeBSD (Current) as :
pccardd[97]: Card "CNet"("CN40BC Ethernet") [D] [NE2000]
 matched "CNet" ("CN40BC Ethernet") [(null)] [(null)]
/boot/kernel/kernel: ed1 at port 0x240-0x25f irq 3 slot 1 on pccard1
/boot/kernel/kernel: ed1: address 00:80:ad:8e:82:60, type NE2000 (16
bit)
pccardd[97]: ed1: CNet (CN40BC Ethernet) inserted.

As ms interested for NetBSD was to see the peripheral management (bus
space and other goodies), I'm a bit disappointed.

What I find troubling is that the GENERIC kernel of NetBSD seems to have
support for "ed" type NICs and that the NIC is "almost" detected :
pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xdffff
pcic0: controller 0 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has sockets A and B
pcic0: controller 1 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has no sockets
pcic0: controller 0 detecting irqs with mask 0xdeb8:
pcic0: no available irq; polling for socket events
CNet, CN40BC Ethernet, D, NE2000 (manufacturer 0xffffffff, product
0xffffffff)
function 0 not configured

the probe of PCMCIA NICs is automagically handled by pccardd (and its
conf file). Is there any similar daemon I should start under FreeBSD ?

	TIA

PS : is it ok to use under FreeBSD the swap partition of NetBSD ? (I
tried once and got a freeze of the notebook)
--
Thierry Herbelot