Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 96 14:54:31 MST
From:      Earl Bryner <ebryner@ns.phbtsus.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATI Mach64 Help.

I recently posted a question on this forum re: the use of the ATI graphics
expression video adapter ( pci bus ), and I received several helpfull replies.

I won't mention any names, but you know who you are.  Please accept my thanks.

I am still having one small problem though.  I have dissabled the probing of
com3 and com4 from my kernel, and the adapter goes nuts, and then blanks the
screen.  The only thing that works is to completely dissable all serial probes.

I downloaded the 3.1.2D beta Xfree86 code, and it works just great ( I have a
newer card with the "CT" chip set ).  However, because I can't probe any of
my serial ports, I can't get the mouse configured.  I have read all the FAQ
notes, and still haven't been successfull.

Here is my system:
100 MHz pentium with onboard IDE/serial/parallel ports. (Intell chip set w/
 165550 compatable serial chip )
256K pipeline cache
16M edo ram
Adaptec 1520 scsi adapter ( ISA bus )
ATI Graphics Expression ( PCI bus  w newer "CT" combined clock/RAMDAC chipset )
3-Com 3c509combo ( ISA bus )
Logitech serial mouse ( 2 button, Microsoft compatable )

I have tried removing the 3c509, replacing the serial ports with true 8550 Uarts,
and replacing the ATI adapter.

The conflict is definately with the ATI adapter.  It has 1 jumper which allows
the Plug and play bios to relocate the I/O space so that it won't conflict with
the serial port address.  I have tried it in both modes ( relocatable and fixed ).

I have also tried dissabling the Plug and play bios with the same result.  If I
replace the adapter with a generic  vga card, then the serial port probe works
fine, and so does X, but due to slot availability, I can't use this set-up
permanently.

I also figured that since someone has already done the work to make the Beta
Xfree86 software, someone else would have already figured out how to make this
card work.  The only thing I haven't tried was to go to some sort of bus mouse.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate a note.

Thanks, Earl