Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:12:03 -0500
From:      Stephen Pitts <smpitts@midsouth.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install problems..root partition seems dead

Hi! I'm a Linux user who decided to try out FreeBSD. I used the install
floppies for 3.2-STABLE to install over FTP, and after a bit of trouble
getting the system to boot (my root FreeBSD partition is on the
secondary master..that seems to be a common issue), I got the system up
and running. With help from FreeBSDZine, I rebuilt XFree86 3.3.3.1 with
nVidia's patches and played with OpenGL and some of the xlockmore demos.
Looking in the handbook, I used cvsup to grab a current ports tree and
build some software. This is _really_ cool :-) The only problem I had
was WRT the syntax for the 'ldconfig' command (in Linux..ldconfig
<dirname> rescans the directory, I figured out _real_ fast that in
FreeBSD that erases the ld.so cache and puts only that directory in the
cache!)

I had given 3 GB to FreeBSD (used the default configuration because I
wasn't sure about disk space requirements; now I'm glad because I needed
> 512 MB in /usr/ports to build stuff!), and I tried to install Debian
today. I screwed up in the install program and mapped /usr to a
partition drive and /var to a 512 MB partition. After crapping out in
the middle of the setup program, I deleted all partitions with Partition
Magic and tried to get back into FreeBSD. The boot loader just beeped
when I pressed F5, then F1 to get into FreeBSD. I reinstalled it with
the install program (using Custom..then pressing W while in fdisk) and
now it says "no ufs" when I try to boot.

As a last resort, I tried to use the fixit disk. Booting from the setup
program, I hit 'Fixit' and got a shell from the Fixit disk, but I couldn't
find any binaries! Is that normal? Where is ls and its fileutils
friends? What about mount, fsck, et. al? I pretended to Upgrade to see
if it could mount my filesystems. Switching to the second vt, I saw the
message:
** /dev/rwd2s1a
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/rw2s1a: INCOMPLETE LABEL: type 4.2BSD fsize 0, frag 0, cpg 0, size
81920
Ahh, so the superblock is dead! But, how do I tell the mount program to
use an alternate superblock? Don't I have one every 8192 inodes (correct
term?) or so?

I've spent around 24 hours playing with my new FreeBSD system, and I
don't want to have to reinstall from scratch. Is there any way I can fix
my root partition?

On another note, will I have any problems using this
partition system for FreeBSD if I do have to reinstall?
/ - 64 MB
/var - 128 MB
/usr - 768 MB
swap - 256 MB
/home-backup  - 1 GB (/home is over NFS)
/usr/local - all else (any better way to split this up?)

Here's my drive layout (all IDE):
Primary Master: 6 GB - FAT32
Primary Slave: HP 8100i - CDRW
Secondary Master: 6 GB
	slice 1 (3GB)
		/ - 40 MB UFS
		/var - 20 MB UFS
		swap - 262 MB
		/usr - 2.7 GB UFS
	linux ext2 - 64 MB (during Linux install)
	linux ext2 - 128 MB (during Linux install)
	DOS-style Extended partition (during Linux install)
		linux ext2 - 512 MB
		linux ext2 - 1024 MB
		linux ext2 - 1700ish MB

--