Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 06:02:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing FTP thruput.

>    Watching modem lights is an extremely poor way to do critical analysis. The
> SunOS machines send out ACKs every other packet and further restrict the
> window size to 4096 bytes. I'm really suprised that FreeBSD comes out worse
> in your test. If you're doing the tests using ftp.cdrom.com as the endpoint
> then you might be seeing the effects of asymetric lossage - especially since
> there are so many intermediate hops involved. I suggest looking for dropped
> packets in the netstat -s statistics.
>    Oh, and you didn't mention which version of FreeBSD you're using or whether
> you're using the kernel PPP or usermode ijppp. You could be seeing the effects
> of one or more bugs in the PPP code.

FTP.CDROM.COM is only about 5 hops away, and we are T3 the whole route.
I wasn't using a FreeBSD box as the PPP server, it was an Annex Xylogics
box.

For the application we are using, we are highly interested in maximizing
the PPP thruput even if speeds > 50MBit are compromised. We can set up a
special set of FTP servers for our customers using better than ether.

If there is any information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

-Tomas.