Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 11:03:28 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wavelan card driver (wi) not even trying

Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net> wrote:

> Is this the ISA/pcmcia bridge card as supplied by Lucent ?
>
> If so, you need to use a different memory location to find the
> isa/pcmcia bridge. I believe it's port 0x3e2, which you probably could
> have found if you'd searched the mobile archives ...

     Yup, that's the likely problem (another possibility is that FreeBSD
is having problems with the old motherboard).  As Peter said, if you
searched the archives for wavelan-specific topics (it's been talked to
death), you'd have found this (see the last paragraph):

    TROUBLESHOOTING

     1. Nothing appears to happen after rebooting.

	Run dmesg.  Look for lines that start with "pcic0:".  If you find
	some, the PCMCIA adapter was found, and you should skip to the next
	item.

	If you can't find any, this probably means that there is a problem
	with the PCMCIA adapter/controller:

	* Are you running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE or 4.0-STABLE older than May
	  29, 2000, and did you just reboot from Windows 95/98/NT?  Older
	  versions of FreeBSD 4.X have a minor bug where the PCMCIA
	  controller is not recognized if you just rebooted from Windows.
	  This bug was fixed in 4.0-STABLE on May 28, 2000.

	  If you reboot again, the PCMCIA controller should be found.
	  Basically, if you were running Windows, you need to reboot twice
	  -- or turn off the power -- to get FreeBSD to recognize the
	  adapter.

	* Is the PCMCIA adapter port address correct?  Note that the default
	  address of the WaveLan PCMCIA adapter is 0x3E2, but the default
	  for the FreeBSD driver is 0x3E0.  They've got to match.

	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com