Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:10:24 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@SCIENCE-GUY.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        mw0102@cnsvax.albany.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSD

Michael Wolfe wrote...

>i'm inquiring because i run win95 and believe that FreeBSD is more stable,
>and in some cases easier to use (once it's properties are known) it also
>has many more options, the only problem is, i know nothing about UNIX.&nbsp;
>would this OS still be a good choice for me at this time, or should i read
>up on and work with UNIX before i try to use FreeBSD (along with win95
>on a dual boot)

Michael,

At home I run Win95 and FreeBSD (version 2.2.1) in a dual boot mode.
My wife and children use Win95 for game playing, quilt design, word
processing, aol etc.  We've used this configuration for several years
(going back to Windows 3.1 and FreeBSD version 2.0 --- when ever that
was).  My experience has been that FreeBSD (stable) is far more stable
than Windows 3.1 and is more stable than Win95.  FreeBSD almost never
crashes at home (and it never crashes on my portable or my system at
work), where as Windows 3.1 crashed daily and it seems Win95 crashes
atleast weekly (if not more) for me on my home system (please factor
in 2 children ages 7 and 4.5 into the picture).

However, almost any flavor of Un*x is harder to use AT FIRST than
Win95 (NeXTSTEP is one possible exception, but if you want to develop
stuff, the development system is $$$$$$$).  Frankly, whether or not
any Un*x is for you depends on what you use a computer for and your
attitude toward computers in general.  If you primarily do a lot of
word processing (with out equations) and consider your computer to be
an appliance needing about as much attention and adjustment at your
toaster, then I recommend you stick with Win95 or move to Windows NT
(definitely more stable than Win95) -- there are lots of people to
help you with Win95 or Windows NT.  Getting help with Un*x can be more
of a challenge, but since you know about the freebsd-questions list
your already in pretty good shape.  If you do scientific word
processing or programming or manipulate large numbers of files you
will probably prefer some variant of Un*x (your attitude towards
computers in general will most likely govern this).

Personally, I prefer FreeBSD to the other flavors on Un*x I have tried
because FreeBSD is either more stable, more compatible with free
software, or faster in some cases.  I'm also use to the BSD flavor
of Un*x --- I haven't used a System V based system regularly for quite a
while.  I don't use Linux primarily because of my familiarity with
BSD, and because the FreeBSD Team continues to develop and maintain
FreeBSD in a structured and timely manner (my sincere thanks to the
FreeBSD Team and all contributors).  I know I can depend on FreeBSD!

If you decide Un*x is the way you want to go, then I highly recommend
FreeBSD.  Greg Lehey's book "Installing And Running FreeBSD," is very
good and helpful in general --- not just the first time you install.
The FreeBSD questions mailing list and the FreeBSD archives (see main
web page at www.freebsd.org) are very helpful as well.  I highly
recommend you get some introductory book on Un*x, I'm not sure what's
a good book anymore, but since all the O'Reilly & Associates books
I've read are good, O'Reilly's "Learning the Unix Operating System" or
"Unix in a Nutshell" are probably very good.  Once you've used Un*x
for a while, I suggest you get Aeleen Frisch's "Essential System
Adminstration" from O'Reilly & Associates.  A willingness to read and
tinker as well as persistence and patience (sometimes a lot of
patience) are necessary to make the most of Un*x (actually this is
true of computers in general).

Anyway, I hope this helps you.  Have fun...

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                             email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121
Naval Undersea Warfare Center             Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
1176 Howell Street                        FAX:       (401) 841-7453
Newport, Rhode Island
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)