Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:25:14 -0500
From:      "Adriel Cardenas G." <freebsdmx@yahoo.com>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

brain_damaged wrote:

> this is confusing to me.
> when setting permissions to file/directoreis etc
> and using the 775 or whatver number how do you know if a user, group or owner is accessing the file or directory ?

I'm not sure of your question, but the 775 number is an octal code for
setting the permission on the file or dir. And it goes something like
this: 400   owner permission to read
                                         200   owner perm to write
                                         100   owner perm to exec

an so it goes for 40/20/10 for group members and 4/2/1 for other (the
rest of the world)

> is the a good chmod for dummies ?

man chmod
man chown

> and what is the differences between
> chmod
CHange MODe	it changes the permission structure

> chown
CHange OWNer	it changes the owner of the file/dir

> and how to you decide or know which one to use.
it all depends on waht you want to do

> I have the walnut creek book but still CHconfusing to me.

Good Luck

Regards