Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 12:38:19 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to increase TCP and UDP buffers (for IPv4/IPv6)

At 09:28 AM 10/4/01 -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > >     sysctl -w net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=100
> >
> > Hi,
> > Are there any nasty side effects for increasing this value ? Also, how
> > would one go about tracking down why net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops is
> > incrementing ?
>
>In general, if your system is unable to drain ipintrq fast enough
>then you are hitting some CPU shortage, and increasing the queue
>size will not help, except perhaps in the short term or in peculiar
>situations where you have many interfaces, no fast_forwarding (this
>would help a lot here), or very bursty input traffic.

I guess in my case, the load average is general 0.00, but that is just
measuring userland activity no ?  Is there a way to allocate more CPU to
the kernel for routing ?  The box in question has some 100,000 routes, so I
dont think I can implement fast_forwarding-- or am I thinking of something
else?

Also, will removing ipv6 from the kernel make it more efficient acting as a
router ?

Thanks very much for your input.

         ---Mike