Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
Cc:        freebsd questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Solaris/FreeBSD v2.2.5 can't talk: Part 2

> Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com> writes:
>
> > Part 2 - Sun Solaris X86 can't talk/ping FreeBSD v2.2.5 box
> >
> > Here are the results from netstat -rn on both computers:
> >
> > Sun box - reports:
> > Dest		Gateway		Flags	Ref	Use	Interface
> > 192.168.1.0	192.168.1.19	U	3	21	iprb0
> > 224.0.0.0	192.168..1.10	U	3	0	iprb0
> > 127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1	UH	0	3931	lo0
> >
> > FreeBSD box reports
> > Dest		Gateway		Flags	Ref	Use
> > 192.168.1	link#1		UC	0	0
>
> No loopback?

This was just after  a reboot, but pinging 127.0.0.1 works fine.

> > also note I did re-install Sun Solaris v2.6, when it rebooted it was stuck
>
> I hope that wasn't at my suggestion--I did say I was kidding!

I  know, I just to cover off myself - just incase something got mangled in
the old install.

> > Things I will try over the weekend: A ISA SMC card in the Sun box, and a
> > hub to see if the Sun EtherExpress driver is looking for the heartbeat
> > pulse. Any other ideas are welcomed.
>
> I forget--are you using a hub or a crossover cable (or thinnet?)

I am using a crossover cable.  The two ISA cards I try will be thinnet.

> What are the IP numbers you've chosen for the two boxes?  Did you try
> adding the route(8) manually?

When I try to add a route, it reports that it already exists.
FreeBSD box - 192.168.1.11, Sun Box - 192.168.1.10. Also if I start
tcpdump on the FreeBSD box, then try to ping it from the Sun box, tcpdump
doesn't display anything.

Paul Griffith