Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:51:11 EST
From:      TD790@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Com driver problems

In a message dated 12/16/01 10:25:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
silby@silby.com writes:

> Well, I'm unable to lock up my -current box with a 3c905-tx (non-B or C).
>  However, I can see the delay (apparently) caused by the stat collection
>  routine, which was previously mentioned in the message
>
>  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=12982+0+archive/2001/freebsd-
> net/20010114.freebsd-net
>
>  Interestingly enough, the delay seems to grow as I run the test longer and
>  longer.  (My test is ping -s 1400 -i .001 boxwithxlnic.)  The delay seems
>  to be able to grow to as much as 12 ms, though it's typically less, around
>  5 ms or so.  If I switch back to the dc interface, I see no delayed
>  packets.

ping is not a very good test...one of the reasons that most people cant find
problems generally. plus you want to use smaller packets to get the pps up.
The ave size packet is under 400 bytes on the net and it better simulates
real life.  Once you saturate the wire the lockup occurs  rather
quickly....you have to get to the point where the overflows are happening
faster than the machine can process the interupts.

intels "official" driver for linux locks up quite easily...dont assume that
the manufacturer puts out bulletproof drivers, because they dont test them
that rigorously.

dennis