Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:25:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      craig.massey@iname.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A quota system for modem time accessed from a '98 PC

My somewhat inactive teenage step-son accesses the web from his '98 PC through our FreeBSD server. I'd like to be able to put limits on his surfing hours per month/week/day linked to the amount he contributes to the household chores.

I can think of several ways to do this which all involve some scripting on my part. Paradoxically, I know Perl on NT quite well, but have never used it on a Unix OS, so I'd have some work to do.

Is there an established way of achieving a quota on modem time? If not I'll have to roll up my sleeves and get inventive.

ps I'm going to encourage him to circumvent any system I put in place. Hacking his way past it will force him to learn something and that's even better than getting help with the housework.