Date:      Tue, 07 May 2019 11:17:58 -0400
From:      "Wallace Barrow" <incin@incin.me>
To:        "Scott Long" <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAS3008 On FreeBSD 12 wGeli - OS Wont Boot

Hi Scott,

I finally had some time to write back on this issue and it seems to get =
more odd while I troubleshoot it.

The server I was talking about when starting this post had to be put int=
o production without Geli along with the 3 other Dell R640s just like it=
. This cluster of 4 servers, that are exactly the same, and had no issue=
s installing FreeBSD 12 without Geli.

The 2nd cluster of servers consists of two Dell R640's as well. The only=
 difference between this group from the four above is the Intel Silver C=
PU type, everything else is the same.

When trying to install FreeBSD 12 on these two servers without geli I ra=
n into the max_chains error constantly. I got the error in the following=
 ways:

When booting from the ISO I would get to the FreeBSD boot loader screen =
and let it continue, hoping I would get to the install screen but it wou=
ld throw the max_chains error before that. Rebooting the server a few mo=
re times trying to install I randomly by chance got to the FreeBSD 12 in=
staller and installed without issue, then on reboot, booting into my new=
 install I got the max_chain error.

I fixed the issue by: When booting from the ISO and on the boot menu I s=
et the boot value for max_chains to 4096 and got to the FreeBSD installe=
r. Before rebooting after the installer finished I opened the shell and =
put that value in loader.conf. The server comes up cleanly every time no=
w, 5+ reboots so far.

To	set the	maximum	number of DMA chains allocated for all adapters, set
     this tunable in loader.conf(5):

	   hw.mpr.max_chains=3DNNNN

The default max_chains value is 2048.

I had some issues with getting SOL working via SSH to get the console ou=
tput, but, I was able to screen capture some errors when we hit the bug.=

http://incin.me/bsd/chains1.png
http://incin.me/bsd/chains2.png
http://incin.me/bsd/chains3.png
http://incin.me/bsd/chains4.png

I hope the screen shots help. I also ran out of time to play with these =
servers and they are needed in our environment.

Thank you!

--=20
  Wallace Barrow
  incin@incin.me