Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:29:25 -0400
From:      Vinny <vinny-mail-01+f.questions20071007@palaceofretention.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd-update port uname/internal patch level mismatch

Hi,

I noticed that using freebsd-update on a freshly installed
6.2-RELEASE system yielded the following mismatch:

$ uname -vp
FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 #0: Thu Apr 26 17:55:55 UTC 2007
  root@i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

The results of running a freebsd-update fetch give:

zcnew# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature from update1.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 6.2-RELEASE-p8.

So uname says -p4 and freebsd-update says -p8

I know -p8 is correct.  The kernel was last patched in -p4 so
maybe the uname information isn't updated if the kernel
isn't updated...?

If there is something I'm doing wrong, please let me know.

Thank you.

Vinny