Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:06:46 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: egcs port uses bzip2, but not on FTP sites

> Yes, yes.  but would you say `bzip2ed' (as in, you got some 'tude,
> dude!)  or would you say bzipped, but write bzip2ped or something like
> that :)

Ah, I would say "bzip2ed".

> hmmmm.  The point is that a large number of the sites on the list (for
> example, prep) do NOT have .bz2s lying around.

Grrr.  How nice.  Our *lovely* friends in Cambridge decided to not mirror
those bits from egcs.cygnus.com.

> Perhaps it would make lots of sense to just grab the .gz.

Space-wise it isn't.  I guess the FSF just can't stand offering something
in a better compression util since it isn't GPVed.

> (In fact, a fallback to getting a .tar.gz might be a reasonable thing
> to put in the makefile...)

hum... not in the current Ports framework. :)

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)