Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2016 12:28:06 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Significant missing item in 11.0 release notes

This morning I updated my min user system from 10.3-Stable to 11.0-BETA3.
In general, things went well, but I had two issues that prevented the
network from operating. the first is a lack of documentation in the Release
Notes and the second is a driver issue. Since they are in no way related,
I'll send the report of the driver issue later.

I use ipfw(8) tables in my firewall configuration. Unfortunately, 11.0 has
introduced a totally re-worked tables structure. The new structure is
awesome and I read about it at the time the changes were being planned and
implemented, but had forgotten. As a result the very first line in my
configuration, "table 1 flush" was no longer valid and the remainder of the
file was ignored.

I assumed that I had missed this in the release notes, but I can find no
reference to this significant change that simultaneously greatly enhanced
ipfw table functionality, but also broke my configuration. While the fix
was trivial, if the Release Notes had addressed this, I would not have had
the problem in the first place.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com