Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 23:29:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Matthew Hagerty" <mhagerty@voyager.net>, "Patrick Simon" <patsimon12@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: just how many known viruses are there for FreeBSD?

This is the most naieve thing I've ever read.  The most famous virus in
history, the Morris Internet Worm, was written for UNIX systems, in
particularly BSD!  The GAO estimated between $100,000 and 10 million dollars
of damage was done by it.  And this was in 1988!!!!!

see http://classes.cec.wustl.edu/~cs423/FL2000/MorrisWorm.html  if you never
heard of the Worm.

>around on the box.  The security model that UN*X systems are built on makes
>it almost impossible for a program [virus] to do any kind of damage,

Absolute rubbish.  In fact the superuser account is a giant headache and
hole for people trying to protect against virus/worm programs because once you
have access to root the entire security on the system becomes worthless.

>so
>people don't waste their time trying to write UN*X viruses and simply
>concentrate on an easier platform... enter Windows.

This is NOT the reason that people don't waste their time writing UNIX
worms.  There's 2 reasons that the crackers don't write them:

1) Most UNIX systems are run by administrators that have a brain and as a
result when security holes are discovered, everyone patches almost
immediately.  By contrast, most NT servers are run by morons who can't
even patch their own servers even when Microsoft puts a link on the front
of their website to the patch.

As a result a Windows virus will live for years because there's always more
systems available that haven't been patched.  UNIX viruses, like the
Internet Worm, have a life of perhaps 2 days tops before the holes that
they exploit are closed.

2) Writing UNIX code takes someone with at least half a brain.  The crackers
writing stuff like Code Red don't have the intelligence to write a UNIX
virus.