Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:23:21 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hackathon 2014/01 results!

Hi!

A few of us got together over the new year weekend to pump out some
new powerpc support and fix bugs.

Here's the result:

* nathan@ and jhibbits@ worked on PPC. Nathan was doing bringup on the
POWER8 hardware that we recently acquired. Justin was working on
general PPC support updates and looking at fixing hwpmc for PPC.
Justin got side-tracked by my PPC laptop update to -HEAD - apparently
vt(4) isn't working for it.
* nathan@ fixed up vt(4) for PS3 and used it as a development
environment to test out kexec changes. He had already worked out a
basic kboot loader for FreeBSD that uses kexec from the Linux
bootloader firmware on the PS3 - which also is being used by the
POWER8 box.
* nathan@ got the hypervisor-running kernel booting but hit vscsi issues.
* nathan@ got the bare-metal kernel booting enough to talk to the
serial port and print out some text, so now he needs to write a
console driver for it.
* rodrigc@ did some jenkins build work - I worked with him to get
mips32/mips64 builds in jenkins configured and helped him get a
filesystem image built and fire up qemu MIPS to boot kernels. The hope
is that we can get Jenkins to do a buildworld/kernel, create an FS
image, populate it with the kyua bits to run the unit tests, then run
the unit tests. I'm hoping we can streamline this for all the
platforms and not just i386/amd64.
* adrian@ has been working on userland builds for MIPS/ARM things.
* adrian@ updated some more of his wifi scan code in preparation for
committing it - it's an overhaul that'll make background scan for
iwn(4) much easier and pave the way for more sensible Intel 7260 wifi
support.
* adrian@ also brought up FreeBSD-HEAD on the QCA955x (scorpion) SoC -
enough to get to a mountroot> prompt. The main thing missing before
it'll be useful is some new interrupt multiplexer handling code and
PCIe bridge - half the devices now sit behind a new interrupt
multiplexer. They probe/attach but they don't get interrupts.
* adrian@ and sbruno@ worked out some kinks in building dlink images
for the DIR-825B1 and DIR-825C1 in preparation for more dlink wifi
router support.
* We gave FreeBSD/HEAD on a Buffalo MIPS wifi router a good thrashing
over the weekend - no real issues crept up.
* jmg@ updated his pcie hotplug branch and both he and rodrigc@ learn
that not keeping up to date with iwn(4) fixes in FreeBSD-HEAD makes
wifi a sad critter.
* Two new people showed up - Cab and Siri - and they played with
Raspberry PI related things.

(It's weird writing in third-person. I don't like it.)

Ok, so thanks to Norse for the space, power, internet and
snacks/drinks over the weekend. Thankyou to Stacey Peterson for
helping me acquire one of these Tyan POWER8 boxes, and thanks to the
Foundation for paying for said box.