Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2011 21:46:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP 2010i 1600x900 screen sizing issue - PCBSD 8.1

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Michael D. Norwick wrote:

> Okay, closer.  Thank You.  I commented out the HorizSync and VertRefresh
> lines restarted the X session and the screen appeared to fill more but I
> still had a black bar to the left at 1600x900.  Going to Computer -> System
> Settings -> Computer Administration - Display -> Size and Orientation, I
> found it at;
>
> Size  1600x900
> Refresh  Auto
>
> Changed it to
>
> Size  1280x1024
> Refresh  Auto
>
> Still no full screen width.  In fact it got narrower.
>
> Changed it to
>
> Size 1440x900  (which had not been an option previously)
> The screen appeared to resize to the full width of the display and 'Refresh'
> now shows 59.9 Hz.

The monitor really is 1600x900, so it's still not quite right.  Your
/var/log/Xorg.0.log may tell why it's not showing correctly.  It sounds
like maybe a monitor adjustment.  If there's an "Auto" button on the
monitor, set xorg.conf to 1600x900 (see below) and try that button.

> I won't be pushing any buttons until I understand the effect.  I understand
> why HorizSync and VertRefresh settings would not be necessary for an LCD
> display but the xserver obviously knows what it's connected to.

Millions of years ago, when stupid CRTs roamed the earth, a wrong
setting could physically damage the monitor.  Different refresh rates
were used for different resolutions, with 75 Hz or higher needed to
avoid flickering (in the US, anyway).

So the HorizSync and VertRefresh entries were there to specify the
limits of what a given monitor could do, and protect it from incorrect,
potentially damaging settings.

Today's monitors are smart.  The video card has a serial link to them
through the VGA cable so the monitor can be queried for resolutions and
refresh rates.  Even simpler, most LCDs use 60 Hz for a refresh rate,
regardless of resolution.

This can get more complicated when you talk to xorg through a
third-party window manager utility.  It's easiest to get xorg.conf set
correctly by directly editing xorg.conf.

'Xorg -configure' generates an xorg.conf that is... well, not optimal
for today's systems.  Whether that's due to apathy, inertia, or aversion
due to so many old systems still being around, who knows.

Here's what I'd use for your entire Screen section:

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"